Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Updates

I again have been less than diligent in my postings. This has something to do with my lack of clarity regarding the audience for this blog. Another big article last week in the Chronicle of Higher Education about the perils of blogging for those dreaming of tenure: "The Hazards of Academic Blogging." My solution is to create a second blog which I'll post to anonymously. This blog, then, will be updates about my academic work and commentary about things related to my area of study - new media - with personal tidbits thrown in here and there of course.
Since my last post, I've had two articles appear in print. Both are linked from my homepage. I'm especially proud of the JCMC piece, Managing Impressions Online: Self-Presentation Processes in the Online Dating Environment, a birthing many, many months in the making. Both of these pieces deal with self-presentation in online dating contexts, an area that is particularly fascinating to me.
In other news - we are revising our Facebook paper for publication, I'm working on another piece exploring the use of blogs in the classroom, "Blogs for Learning" is close to being ready for beta-testing, and I just got back from a week in the Bahamas having "encounters" with wild dolphins, sharks (nurse, lemon, and tiger), rays, sea turtles, and more Europeans than you could shake a stick at. I should put in a plug for Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures, the diving operation out of Palm Beach that ran the trip. Except for a few small unavoidable logistical problems, everything was top-notch. Now back to reality!

No comments: